Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED)
Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED) is conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT Bombay). This exam is conducted mainly to offer admission to Bachelors of Design (B.Des) in the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, Guwahati and Hyderabad and also for Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing (IIITDM) in Jabalpur. There are also many other colleges that accept the UCEED scores for admission to undergraduate design courses.
In many of the design colleges in India, UCEED is considered as one of the qualifying examinations and by clearing the cut-offs and getting a good merit rank, the students can ensure admission in these colleges. The UCEED is a national level examination conducted once in a year in the online mode. Normally the admission forms come out in the month of October or November and the examination is conducted in the month of January.
About 12,500 students write the UCEED Examination every year, out of which about 3000 features in the rank list after clearing the sectional and the overall cut-offs. These students can use their ranks to apply to various design courses in the country. The most preferred of the courses are in IITs and IIITDM.
UCEED | Sections of the Examination
UCEED is a computer-based online examination. The students are given three hours to attempt the entire paper and the examination has two parts. UCEED in 2020 came out with a new pattern with major changes which is as follows,
UCEED has two parts, Part-A and Part-B. Part-A of the section has three sections. The first section is the Numerical Answer Type (NAT) section for which the students have to key in the answers (Fill in the answers). There are no choices for these questions and the questions have no negative marking.
The second section is Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) which may have multiple answers correct from the given choices and the students have to choose all the correct answers. This section also has negative marks for the wrong answers.
The third section is a Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), where each question has four choices out of which only one of them is correct. This section also has negative marking.
These three sections together are for 240 marks and the time allotted is 150 minutes (2.5 hours).
Part-B of the UCEED Examination is for 60 marks and has to be completed within 30 minutes. This part has only one section with one question which tests the drawing skills of the student and this question will be shown on the screen and the students have to draw/write on the answer booklet provided to them during the examination.
UCEED | Examination Pattern
In the NAT and MSQ section of Part-A of the UCEED Examination, there are a total of 36 questions, 18 in each section. Each of these questions carries 4 marks. The total marks a student can score in each of these sections is 72. The third section which is the MCQ section has 32 questions with each question of 3 marks. So, the total score of Part-A is 240 marks. The sections of Part-A tests a student on Visualisation and Spatial Ability, Language and Creativity, Analytical and Logical Reasoning, Observation and Design Sensitivity, Environmental and Social Awareness.
The Part-B of the UCEED Examination is a Drawing Skills test which is of 60 minutes with just one question, which needs to be completed in 30 minutes. There is no negative marking in Part-B of the paper.
|Section||Questions||Marks if Correct||Marks if Wrong||Total Marks|
|Part - A ( 240 marks, 2 hours and 30 minutes)|
|Part - B ( 60 marks, 30 minutes)|
|Total : 300 marks, 3 hours|
UCEED | Examination Results
The results of the UCEED exam are declared online on the official website of IIT Bombay. Students can check their results using the login details provided at the time of submission of the online application form. The result is in the form of a scorecard that contains the marks and ranks of the candidates.
The scorecard contains the following details:
- Name of the candidate
- Roll number of the candidate
- Total marks obtained
- Marks scored section-wise
- All India rank secured by the candidate
- Category rank if applicable
Students who have qualified the UCEED exam can check their ranks on the website. The UCEED scores are valid for one year and the candidates must download the scorecard as it will be used at the time of admissions.
Ranks are released on the basis of marks scored by the candidates in the UCEED exam. The marks of class 12th are not considered in deciding the ranks of the applicants. The ranks are awarded on the basis of total marks scored in both the parts of the question paper. It is also to be noted that there will be only ONE rank list.
In the case of students having the same total marks in the UCEED exam paper, the ranks are decided by following the tie-breaker rules. The tie-breaker rule as set by IIT Bombay is as follows:
- First preference in the ranks will be given to the candidate who has scored more marks in part-B
- Second preference will be given to the student who has scored more marks in the section – 2 of part – A
- Third preference is given to the candidate who has scored more marks in the section – 1 of part – A
- The rank preference is given to the one who is older in age.
Candidates who have qualified the cut off marks in part – A and part – B of the exam paper along with total minimum marks will be awarded a rank. This rank is the criteria for your admission to colleges. Good ranks will get you top colleges.
UCEED | Cut-off Marks
UCEED cut-off marks is the minimum qualifying marks required by the candidates in the exam to get a rank for admission to the colleges. The cut off marks are set section-wise. There is also a total minimum marks cut offset by the examining authority. Candidates who qualify both the section-wise cut off and total cut off of the exam paper are eligible to take admission depending on their ranks.
The section-wise cut off and total cut off of the UCEED exam is as follows:
|Category||Minimum %||Mininum Marks|
|(in each section)||(Total)|
There are 3 rounds of the rank list released by the authority. The first round of rank list of the top colleges accepting UCEED scores are:
|Opening rank||Closing rank||Opening rank||Closing rank|
UCEED | Colleges Accepting UCEED Score
The UCEED is the entrance exam to get admission to IITs in Bachelors of Design. But other than the IITs, few other colleges also consider the scores of UCEED to offer admission to B.Des in their institution. The list of colleges in India that accepts the scores of UCEED are as follows:
- Indian Institute of Bombay
- Indian Institute of Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Guwahati
- IITDM Jabalpur
- Delhi Technological University
- CEPT university Gujarat
- Srishti Institute of the art design and technology Bengaluru
- Central Institute of Technology Kokrajhar
- Lovely professional university
- University of Petroleum and energy studies
- World University of Design
- VIT Vellore
- Manipal University Jaipur
- SRM University of Technology Chennai
- Jain University
UCEED | How to Apply?
Candidates who wish to appear in the UCEED exam must fill and submit the online application form. The application form link is available on the official website of IIT Bombay. Students are requested to follows the steps below to submit the online application form successfully.
Stage 1: Registration process for UCEED
- To apply for a UCEED, applicants will first register online.
- Click the link on the official website of the authority conducting the UCEED
- At the registration time, candidates must enter their email address and mobile number.
- The password will be forwarded to the candidates’ phone number. Applicants can only sign in through this password.
- Candidates are advised not to remove the connection for email confirmation, as it may be appropriate for future references.
- For more login applicants will write down their client ID and password. Candidates must ensure that all of the stated information, such as email ID, phone number, etc., is genuine.
Stage 2: Fill out the application form for UCEED
- Candidates should fill in the required details on the application form with care.
- By entering your personal details they should start filling out the online application form.
- Candidates will submit photos, signatures, certificates of qualifications, and other relevant documents.
- Candidates must use the Preview button to verify all the details given by them before clicking on the “Pay fee” and submitting the application form. Once they have submitted the application form they cannot make any kind of changes.
The application process will be complete upon successful payment of the application fee.
Stage 3: Payment of application fee to UCEED
- After completing all the required details in the application form, candidates should click on the “Pay fee & submit” button.
- After clicking on the link the candidates will be routed to the payment gateway.
- The application fee may be charged through debit card, credit card, or internet banking.
Candidates will obtain confirmation after the payment fee is successfully charged. It is recommended that they retain a copy of the confirmation page for future reference.
UCEED | Who can Apply?
There are a set of minimum eligibility requirement set by the IIT Bombay for candidates who wish to take admission to B.Des courses. Every candidate must fulfill these criteria without fail otherwise his admission will be canceled immediately. The common eligibility criteria for UCEED exam are:
- Nationality: UCEED 2020 can feature both Indians and foreign nationals.
- Age: Candidates belonging to categories General / OBC-NCL should have been born on or after 1 October 1995. Candidates belonging to the groups SC / ST / PWD should have been born on or after 1 October 1990.
- Candidates may appear for a maximum of 2 consecutive years for the UCEED exam.
- Qualifying exam: Applicants should have passed the 12th class test in 2019 or should have appeared for the exam in 2020. Candidates who passed the 12th Class exam in 2016 will not be eligible to apply.
- Candidates in any path (Arts, Commerce, Scientific, Humanities) will pass their 12th class test.
- Board: Candidates from a recognized board or university should have passed the 12th Class exam.
- Before filling out the application form, applicants are advised to check whether they are eligible to appear at UCEED 2020.
UCEED | Examination Syllabus
The section-wise syllabus is set by the authority carefully to test the candidates on every scale. The syllabus as decided by the IIT Bombay for UCEED entrance exam is:
UCEED Syllabus, Part-A
- Visualization and spatial ability: Focuses on representing data in a diagram. It stresses the pictorial aspect of interpreting large volumes of data. This helps to represent complex data in a plain format.
- Observation and design sensitivity: Analysis and logical reasoning play a significant role in the essential interpretation of both individuals and circumstances. It tests the ability to retrieve secret data.
- Environmental and social awareness: It is about the general understanding of natural resources, temperature, and climate. Assets like; water, minerals, and vegetation all combine to create the natural resource that needs to be optimally used. That requires a good amount of planning and design. The subject is also about the design of artifacts.
- Analytical and logical reasoning: It gives one insight into how interpreting both quantitative and qualitative data through analytics and understanding can be achieved.
- Language and creativity: Knowledge will be assessed in terms of grammar, tenses, verbs, vocabulary, and thinking process.
- Design thinking and problem solving: This field can determine whether the students can define complex data and analyze it. Candidates need to recognize problems and build a solution that is ideally suited to the situation.
UCEED Syllabus, Part-B
Drawing: Ability to draw objects, individuals, or scenes in proportion to good quality of line, composition, proportion, perspective, and shading.